Follett Corporation is the world's largest single source of books, entertainment products, digital content and multi-media for libraries, schools and retailers. Headquartered in Westchester, Illinois, Follett provides education technology, services and physical and digital content to millions of students at 70,000 schools more than 2,850 physical and virtual campus stores in North America. Through Baker & Taylor, Follett's reach also extends to the public library and global retail markets.
The Intermediate Product Manager is responsible for overseeing products in the Academic Tools suite-mainly focusing on Follett Discover and Publisher Integrations. This role develops business cases and defines business requirements with a focus on the 1200+ Follett's Managed campus store partners. The position leads the business requirements definition; partners with development/technical, and 3rd party vendors to implement.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- The Product Manager is primarily responsible for coordinating internal and external stakeholder feedback, developing ROI/ business cases, writing business requirements, and working with functional business owners and IT development to execute on the vision. This position has end-to-end ownership of the Follett Discover suite of products.
- The Product Manager will lead the requirements definition, implementation, and measurement of new features by drawing on their expertise in course materials business cycle, store operations, and customer feedback.
- Key responsibilities include managing product plans, building and maintaining product roadmap, phasing, prioritization, and producing business requirements for all features in an agile development process.
- Prioritizes product requirements and roadmap for future features/ enhancements.
- Partners with IT to ensure that releases are executed flawlessly. Triage and manage site outages if they occur. Evening / weekend hours are a part of the job especially during releases, peak business times or site outages.
- Creates communication and training plans/documents for usage by store management and operations
- Work closely with development/technical/ operational partners and 3rd party vendors to design solutions and manage the education process for eventual use by users.
- Work with both institutional and publisher partners to build API based integrations.
- Work with internal business stakeholders (ex: Legal, Channel Marketing, Retail Store Operations, Product Operations, Customer Service, Course Materials & Campus store managers) to understand and prioritize business needs and to communicate new features/functionality or utilities
- Assists with full P&L responsibility, which includes product growth and profitability through inventory management, customer experience, and product life cycle management.
- Create and track financial plan for new roadmap items/modules, working closely with other product managers, functional business owners and IT development leaders. Negotiate and manage vendor/service contracts
- Perform due diligence and necessary analysis to vet new product/feature ideas.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Marketing or related field is preferable, along with an MBA.
- Course materials knowledge and understanding of the industry retail business is a huge plus.
- 3-5 years of technology product and/or project management, experience with managing large-scale and enterprise wide projects
- Strong financial acumen with P&L/ROI responsibility, business case development and the ability to achieve results through others is preferred.
- Must be a well-seasoned business professional with strategic vision and customer focused orientation, judgment skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead, influence, and coordinate activities in a cross functional team-oriented environment. Strong collaboration and constituent. management skills. Ability to influence internal and external partners to achieve results.
- The ability to work well with multiple stakeholders in both a technical and business environment.
- Strong experience in translating business needs into product features.
- Understands drivers of the business to prioritize product requirements and roadmap for future features/ enhancements.
- Well versed in the use of marketing analytics to gather insights to enhance the customer experience. Past experience with user testing is desirable.
- Proven responsibility in creating and managing a strategic plan and multi-year product roadmap. Demonstrated ability to execute on delivery of product roadmap
- Possess well-developed business judgment, which permits the creation of meaningful insight from potentially disparate findings.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, and analytical skills with outstanding verbal, written communication and presentation skills to convey product growth and profitability results in front of cross-functional and Senior Leadership.
- Must demonstrate a sense of urgency and ownership to drive issues to completion.
- Ability to shift from strategic thinking to tactical execution, and owns 360 degrees of a product's scope.
- Knowledge of Student Information Systems and Learning Management Systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of course materials, educational technology, and the higher education market is preferred.
*Evening and weekend hours are a part of the job especially during releases, peak business time or site outages. Peak times are (March-May, August-October, and January).
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task