- Interim Head of People Development - Fixed Term
Interim Head of People Development - Fixed Term
Interim Head of People Development
We have a great opportunity for an interim Head of People Development to join the team covering maternity leave. This role plays a pivotal role in the effective strategic planning and delivery of police training including Leadership, Operational and Driver training and development. The successful post holder will work as an integral member of the People Services team as part of the G4S Policing Services strategic partnership contract with Lincolnshire Police. The post holder will be an inspirational leader, driven with a passion for developing innovative learning interventions.
You will be joining a team who have determination and a desire to succeed.
Salary circa 55k on a 6-8 month Fixed Term Contract.
As Head of People Development you will lead a team responsible for the innovative development and delivery of exceptional people development services to Lincolnshire Police and all of our clients across the UK and for ensuring that your teams achieve targets and deliver the best value service. You will lead, manage and achieve growth within existing and future target areas through your service area. You will contribute to specific People Development bids or as part of wider service offerings (e.g. Custody Services, wholesale BPO bids etc.).
- Responsibility for ensuring that all people development activity delivered to Lincolnshire Police and any other client meets defined national (APP), regional and local standards, complies with statutory and policy requirements and is delivered by fully qualified/accredited training staff. This will include the provision of the scheduling of sufficient courses to ensure full compliance with all mandatory training and effective evaluation of all such training.
- Provision of strategic advice to G4S Policing Services management, Lincolnshire Police, the Office of the Police & Crime Commissioner and other relevant client groups in relation to people development. This will include representing the function and the client (as appropriate) at local, regional and national meetings and conferences.
- Overall responsibility for the capture, maintenance and dissemination of accurate, meaningful and timely management information to allow G4S Policing Services, Lincolnshire Police and other clients to prioritise development needs/requirements.
- Drive the development and implementation of innovative strategies that reduce costs, increase value and achieve best practice across the business/organisation.
- Contribute to the active development of business opportunities both specific to the function, the wider People Services Department and Policing Services as a whole. This will include leading on bid development specific to People Services and/or contributing to wider development opportunities as part of a wider Policing Services bid team.
- Manage and control the People Development P&L account, the achievement of annual income targets and the Lincolnshire Police training budget.
- Lead the commissioning, development, delivery and evaluation of the annual training plan for Client Training, ensuring that the plan is reviewed and updated on a quarterly basis and that client needs are achieved as laid down in the contractual arrangements.
- Manage all People Development Managers to develop and enhance individual, team and business performance. Ensure that performance of team members meets service requirements and that performance development feedback is provided across the business. Ensure the continuous professional development of all team members and that accurate qualification/CPD records are maintained.
- Manage and drive the functions contribution to the delivery of the Lincolnshire Police Strategic Plan and the G4S People Plan. This will include the provision of monthly and quarterly reports as required (e.g. Monthly Delivery Plan, Resources Governance Board, etc.) and presentation of such reports as required.Initiate and manage strategic projects designed to enhance the effectiveness of people development.
- Advise and support senior directors and managers in shaping business and people development strategies to meet departmental and organisational priorities and objectives and consistency of approach. Establish effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve this.
- Direct and manage work across the service to ensure the provision of a high quality people development service which fully integrates best practice with all aspects of service delivery and complies with statutory and policy requirements.
- Carry out ongoing benchmarks to ensure G4S and the strategic framework provides the best services, develop the very best staff members and drive a positive employer brand.
- Deliver robust talent management and development initiatives for G4S Policing Services, Lincolnshire Police, Lincolnshire Police and other relevant client groups utilising internal talent and expertise where necessary to drive performance.
- Own succession management, people development and the EDR process within own area, working in a holistic way to ensure there is a management process and practice of dealing with poor performers and developing high performers. Key Competencies
- Undertake additional duties relevant to the role when the need arises.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Awareness of the Market Environment
- Driving Change
- Delivering performance
- Customer thinking
- Collaborating and co-operating
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Significant previous management experience of working in a complex L&D environment.
- Experience of managing a P&L account
- Proven marketing and influencing skills.
- Proven experience of developing and implementing innovative people development strategies.
- Have excellent organisational and planning skills to balance multiple demands in a complex and changing environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Sound, up-to-date knowledge of national L&D initiatives and developments.
- Able to build and maintain networks and relationships with a wide range of people gaining credibility at all levels.
- Experience of successfully dealing with issues of a contentious and sensitive nature, whilst exercising sound judgement.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills, being able to persuade the benefits of change and improvement.
- Able to challenge current practices in a constructive manner.
- Experience of managing and developing teams.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Previous experience of working in a Policing environment