Director/Senior Director, Business Development
Takeda Pharmaceuticals International GmbH in Clinton, MD
- Industry: Executive Management - Sales/Business Development
- Type: Full Time
- Compensation: $153,235.00 - 153,235.00 / Year*
*Please be aware of an Identity Theft Scheme targeting individuals seeking jobs with Takeda and other employers. See below or here for more info.
Director/Senior Director, Business Development - Center of External Innovation
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takedas long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the worlds leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits were looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, were one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer status for 2019.
Director/Senior Director, Business Development - Center of External Innovation
Job ID R0008417 Date posted 04/19/2019 Location Cambridge, Massachusetts
Director/Senior Director, Business Development Center of External Innovation (CEI)
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as Director/Senior Director, Business Development Center of External Innovation (CEI) in our Cambridge office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
- The Center for External Innovation (CEI) Business Development (BD) team is Therapeutic Area (TA) aligned across Oncology (ONC), Neuroscience (NS), Rare Disease (RD), and Gastroenterology (GI) and responsible for all Research and Development-stage BD activities
- This position works primarily with a designated Therapeutic Area Unit (TAU) and Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) to: (i) develop a partnering strategy that supports the TAU/DDU R&D strategies, (ii) identify and triage opportunities consistent with the agreed strategy, (iii) lead cross-functional due diligence teams to efficiently assess opportunities, and (iv) negotiate and execute deals of all types (e.g., in-licensing, research collaborations) across the R&D pipeline. This position is a critical function within this core team
- This position is viewed as the subject matter expert for the designated TA, is a key external facing leader for the BD team, and continuously leads limited duration teams within a matrix environment
- Will serve in an ambassador role working directly with internal and external key opinion leaders and operational leadership within CEI, Global Business Development (GBD), and Takeda R&D including Strategic Academic Alliances (SAA), and Takeda Ventures Inc. (TVI)
- This position is responsible for scouting and continually updating a comprehensive landscape of BD opportunities for their designated TA focus
- Proactively monitor commercial, academic, and IP landscapes for all external discovery and development-stage innovations which may be relevant to the Takeda pipeline
- Build a strong, worldwide outreach program by establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with senior management and BD groups of potential partner companies, key principal investigators and technology transfer groups at research institutions, and the venture capital investment community
- Lead scouting and partnering interactions at key conferences including JP Morgan (JPM) / Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- In close partnership with the designated Business Unit (BU), TAU, and DDU leadership teams and organization at-large (e.g., scientists, clinicians, commercial managers), actively prospect for and help drive research alliances and preclinical and clinical collaborations with external parties (e.g., pharmaceutical or biotech companies, academic or not-for-profit institutions) that will enhance Takedas pipeline
- Be the CEI/GBD/Takeda point of contact with the sponsoring TA and the external commercial/academic collaborators
- Lead technical evaluation and due diligence efforts where appropriate
- Prepare and present scientific and business rationale for any recommendations and transaction proposals to senior management for approval
- Identify, evaluate, and transact BD opportunities that meet the strategic scientific, therapeutic, and commercial needs of the organization
- Negotiate on behalf of Takeda in support of in-licensing, out-licensing, co-promotions, research collaborations, etc.
- Support Takeda project teams (discovery, development, and marketing), SAA/TVI, GBD, and regional BD on partnering activities in terms of technical expertise and due diligence
- Effectively bridge breakthrough science and/or transforming technology platform opportunities with all relevant internal stakeholder groups
- Acts as a thought partner to the TAU/DDU Heads and ensures the BD strategy is aligned and supported. This role challenges the Leadership Teams to think innovatively when it comes to partnering with external parties
- Stays current and prepared to share TAU/DDU clinical developments and industry trends to small groups or large audiences of senior leaders, including maintaining a thorough knowledge of:
- Specific TA products, platforms, targets, and therapeutic approaches
- Industry trends and regulatory, legal, and commercial issues
- Takeda's R&D and Commercial processes
- Takedas portfolio, including gaps and strengths
- Works with the CEI TA Leads and other key functions outside of BD to help design and implement processes for opportunity assessment and due diligence to ensure competitive superiority
- Articulates Takeda's licensing goals and practices in public forums (e.g., partnering meetings, speaking engagements) and is an effective ambassador for the Takeda global BD brand to ensure Takeda is perceived as a Partner of Choice
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent degree is required; training in a biological (pharmacology /biology/biochemistry) discipline preferred
- At least (5 years for Director) 10 years experience in the Pharma/Biotech industry and in the designated TA focus, preferably including both preclinical and clinical drug development
- Experience in complex and global deal negotiations along with a successful track record in sourcing BD opportunities, deal negotiations, and closures in discovery, preclinical, and commercial areas. A comprehensive deal sheet demonstrating a substantial record of executed deals is required.
- Deep understanding of drug development, approval, and commercialization processes
- Must demonstrate scientific knowledge and gravitas to hold/drive meaningful scientific discussions with industrial and academic experts and key opinion leaders in the designated TA focus
- A well-established commercial/academic network is strongly preferred along with a progressive knowledge of innovative alliance structures, industry trends, and competitive issues related to pharmaceutical business development
- A well-established business development network within the industry is strongly preferred along with a progressive knowledge of innovative alliance structures, industry trends, and competitive issues related to pharmaceutical BD
- Results-oriented, creative, self-starter with the ability to deliver high-quality deliverables on time that are appropriate for review by senior management
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to be effective in a matrix environment
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips
- Some international travel may be required
- Requires up to 30% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit
Check out where you could be
working if you apply.
Job Seekers: Protect yourself against identity theft
Please be aware there are instances of identity thieves posting Takeda-branded jobs and posing as employees to steal personal information. They visit job-related websites and invite candidates to online chats. During the chat, they press job seekers to provide bank account information and Social Security numbers.
At Takeda, we do not ask for personal financial information during telephone, in-person or video interviews. And we are investigating ways to mitigate or stop this scheme. If you have concerns related to this issue, consider the following actions: 1) If in the U.S., place a freeze on your credit reports: 2) file a complaint with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission: and/or 3) file a report with your local police department.
Copyright 1995-2019 Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited. All rights reserved.
* Estimated salary
More Jobs Hiring Near Me!